|The Virtue of Spirituality
SPIRITUALITY AS DEFINED BY THE VIRTUE SYSTEM
Spirituality is part of a philosophy within Ultima Online known as the Virtues, and is one of eight pursuits within the upcoming Virtue system.
The Virtue of Spirituality has been described as:
“Spirituality is the concern with one's inner being and how one deals with Truth, Love, and Courage.”Pursuit of Spirituality will help players learn about the Virtues philosophy and game system, and give them alternate ways to gain in each Virtue.
Tasks: Players will be able to visit the Shrine of Spirituality (on Felucca, Trammel, or Ilshenar), and be able to double-click it in order to get a special gump-menu.
Virtuous Title & Abilities: When a character has achieved enough Spirituality points, he is considered to have achieved a certain step on the path of Spirituality.
- The menu will ask which Virtue they wish to learn about.
- Eventually all Virtues will be listed, but initially only those Virtues with “systems” that have been introduced into the game will be listed here.
- Once the player selects a Virtue, the player will be given a task based on that Virtue.
- Humility task: Upon visiting the Shrine of Humility, players will be asked to pursue a Humility-based task.
- Players will be asked to kill an amount of monsters which would normally gain them “Admirable” level of Fame, although no actual fame will be gained for these kills during this task period.
- Players will be notified when they achieve their task, at which time they will also gain some Spirituality and Humility, as well as be able to continue gaining Fame.
- Sacrifice task: Upon visiting the Shrine of Sacrifice, players will be asked to pursue a Sacrifice-based task.
- Players will be told to tithe a certain, specific amount of gold at the Shrine of Sacrifice, into a certain chest placed there.
- If players put in the exact amount of gold requested, they will gain some Spirituality and Sacrifice. If there is not enough gold, the chest will refuse the offering.
- Other tasks: As more Virtues systems become available, other Virtues-based tasks will be added.
- Characters cannot pursue more than one task per day.
- Characters cannot pursue the same task twice in a row.
- When a player moves his cursor over the Spirituality symbol, a title will be displayed, indicating the step currently achieved in Spirituality for that character.
- First step: Seeker of Spirituality
- Second step: Follower of Spirituality
- Third step: Knight of Spirituality
- Players who progress any number of steps on the path of Spirituality, but do not continue to actively pursue it, may discover that this Virtuous title reduces in steps over time.
- Characters who have achieved any steps on the path of Spirituality will recover from being dead faster than other characters, resurrecting with a few more hit points and mana than normal.
- The exact numbers are still to be determined, although it is not likely that they will exceed 50% of the character’s maximum natural stats.
- A player who resurrects through use of his Sacrifice power will not gain these additional, post-resurrection recovery points.
- Ghosts are normally only understood by those who successfully use the Spirit Speak skill. Characters who have achieved any steps on the path of Spirituality will be understood by anyone while as a ghost, including those who listeners who are not using Spirit Speak.