|Blacksmithy Essay: Repairing Arms and Armor
Notes and Tips
To allow easy and fair transfer
of repair services, a smith can create a so called "Repair
Service Contract". Instead of handing over the armor or
weapon to a blacksmith, a player can simply purchase a contract
from a player blacksmith.
- The Tips noted above under the Blacksmithy
Essay are also valid for Repairing.
- Some smiths do not seem to get the messages below. This
is a feature.
- If you receive the message *You fail to repair
the item* you have weakened the item and it has
not been repaired. This will reduce the items hps by
1 for Master/GM Smiths, 2 for Expert Smiths and 3 for
- If you receive the message *The item has been repaired*
you have weakened the item but repaired it. This will
reduce the items hps by 1 for all levels of Smiths.
- It is seldom at higher Skill levels that an item is destroyed,
but it can and will happen even for GM smiths as items are
weakened even on successful repairs. It is however very
seldom that this happens.
- Difficulty is based on full item hp - current item hp.
only affect difficulty if they have durability modifiers.
(ie. Full item hp is increased and difference to current
item hp can be larger)
- The current condition of the weapons/armor affects the
difficulty of repairing the item. It is much harder to repair
a Plate chest that is falling apart, than a Plate chest
in Fairly Good condition
- If you are not a Great Lord/Great Lady do not attempt
to repair Order/Chaos
Shields. They will *poof* if you try to repair
- The contract comes in the shape of a deed.
- The contract is "blessed", which means it cannot be stolen
(if kept in the top level of your backpack), and stays with
you when you die.
- The contract is labeled as "a repair service contract
from a [level] blacksmith," where [level] is the skill
level title of the smith which has created the contract
(i.e. apprentice, journeyman, expert, adept, master, or
grandmaster, as appropriate).
- Player blacksmiths can create contracts by using the blacksmith
- Use a smithing tool.
- Choose the "Repair" option from the menu
- Target a blank scroll. The scroll must be within the
- You will not gain skill by creating these contracts. If
you want to gain skill by repairing items you have to repair
- Contract cannot be sold on player vendors. This is done
to promote direct interaction between players.
- Characters must be standing in an NPC blacksmith or armorer
shop in order to use a repair service contract, as follows:
- Double-click the repair service contract.
- Target the item-to-be-repaired.
- The used repair service contract will disappear after