UP: Lake Superior
The forest north of Minoc hath been afflicted with discolored
trees. Not long ago, the first such tree appeared, golden
in color. There did not seem any call for concern when it
was discovered, for it was merely a tree
with an odd colored trunk. Many wondered if it would produce
a marvelous wood, but were disappointed when the tree proved
to be no different than any other in that regard. Soon after,
the tree turned black and surrounding trees began to appear
that were as golden in color as the first tree had been. The
ring of trees grew as the newly discolored trees also turned
black and a wider ring of the forest turned golden in hue.
Concern mounted and it was decided that action must
be taken. Serlinuus, an alchemist from Moonglow,
traveled to Minoc to investigate the problem. He determined
that whatever had enchanted the forest was spreading. It
was possibly aggravated by the desire to harvest the original
trees wood, Serlinuus conjectured, and will
obviously need to be stopped. The question is: What hath caused
Studying the trees and consulting many books on local flora and obscure
alchemy techniques, Serlinuus stumbled upon a way to possibly slow the spread of the
enchantment. The technique involved creating some magical hourglasses:
- The glass of each hourglass was etched with the words, Vas An Nox, using
common etching tools and a strong acid.
- The etched words were sealed with a natural resin.
- A compound was prepared that combined the properties of red, yellow, and orange potions.
- The compound was crystallized and crushed.
- The hourglasses were filled with grains of the crystal.
- The finished hourglasses were placed around the outside of the circle of enchanted
These should serve to slow the spread of the enchantment, but
Serlinuus could not yet say for how long. Any means of stopping the enchantment is still
From the Town Cryer - The Journal of Ultima Online, Tuesday, March 17th 1998